Country Living in Cloughton
A landmark property on the Duchy’s Yorkshire Survey has been sensitively refurbished and modernised to create a new family home in the centre of Cloughton village.
Town Farmhouse is a substantial stone-built property within a much-loved conservation area. Built in the mid-19th century, the house was originally the centrepiece of Town Farm, one of the principal holdings on the estate. Home to three generations of the Green family, it was still operating as a working farm until 2017 when Joe and Debbie Green’s growing farming operation was relocated to a purpose-built site on the outskirts of the village at Cloughton Fields.
The original farmhouse had no fewer than three internal staircases and included an adjoining annexe for farm workers. This was incorporated into the main residence in the 1950s and the staircases rationalised to open up further living space. The property has been let since the relocation of the farm, returning to the Duchy at the end of 2019.
Commenting on the latest restoration and refurbishment work to the property, the Duchy’s Surveyor of Lands for the North Andrew Johnson said: “The improvement works carried out to the property have enabled us to transform the interior living space while retaining the building’s historic character and charm. As a result, Town Farmhouse is now a light and spacious family home with open plan kitchen and living space providing access onto the gardens. It is one of the signature properties on the Cloughton estate and has now been re-let to a new generation of tenants keen to make it their home.”
The Cloughton estate is one of the oldest land holdings in the Duchy’s possession and has formed part of the Yorkshire Survey since 1267. Today, it is made up of over 974 hectares of arable and pasture land, 9 commercial lettings, 15 holiday homes and around 40 residential properties.