Duchy invests in restoration works at Savoy Chapel
As part of the quinquennial programme of works at the Queen’s Chapel of the Savoy, the Duchy’s investment in and commitment to the future of the Chapel continues this summer, with two substantial pieces of work which will be carried out whilst the Chapel is closed for services during August and September.
The Victorian tiled floor in the chancel and sanctuary will be fully restored, cleaned and the broken tiles replaced and, for the first time since 1997, the organ will be given a full service and clean.
The Walker organ which was installed in 1965, replacing a Hammond organ which had been in use since 1939, was presented to the Chapel by the Duchy on behalf of Her Majesty the Queen to mark the 700th anniversary of the foundation of the Duchy. The service and clean will be undertaken by Michael Broadway who has looked after the organ for the last twenty years.
The works will be completed by the time the Chapel reopens on the 1st October for regular services and worship.