King’s School Pontefract Endowment Fund
The King’s School, Pontefract, was founded in 1139, making it one of the four oldest schools in Yorkshire. It was a grammar school until 1978, when it became one of three schools in a comprehensive unit: The King’s High School, Pontefract; New College, Pontefract; and Carleton High School, Pontefract. New College subsequently became a sixth form college in 1987.
The original school has been associated with the Duchy since 1583, when an endowment from the Duchy enabled the school to continue in existence. Sums of £50 per annum were paid up until 1869 and £100 per annum from then; the money was used for prizes. The Trustees of the Duchy Benevolent Fund donate a sum every year to each of the three schools for pupils from low-income homes inorder to undertake extra-curricular activities they might not otherwise be able to afford.
The endowed funds of the old King’s School are under the control of the Charity Commissioners, and the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster appoints three Governors who serve for a three-year period.
Mr. J.A. Gardner was appointed in 1996.
Mr. J. Gough, JP, MRICS was appointed in 2000.
Mr. D. Dinmore, MBE, DL was appointed in 2011.